May 30, 2006

Stuck Inside Of 2006 With The 1966 Blues Again.

At lunch one day, some freaks I work with and I got into a stupid (though entertaining) discussion: If you could go back in time and witness a particular historic event, what would it be?

Someone named the signing of the Declaration Of Independence. Somebody else picked an event from the life of Jesus—one of the miracles, I think. Another, JFK's assassination. Mine was a little less monumental, perhaps: Bob Dylan's 1966 European tour. I guess the one to see would be the Manchester Free Trade Hall show from May 17, the one where someone yelled "Judas!" right before Bob and The Band kicked into a really nasty "Like A Rolling Stone." That's the show documented on the "Live 1966" CD. Forty years have not blunted the power of this music. It's all energy, anger and spite. (And poetry.)

This photo is from that show. Dig that suit and how well it goes with the Telecaster. Don't you wish you'd been there?

2 comments:

Udarnik said...

Robbie Robertson's looking pretty dapper, as well.

Toby Roan said...

Have you seen the Scorcese Dylan documentary? The film from that tour is incredible! I loved the movie, but I keep going back to those performances--the same way my daughter watches the same episode of "The Koala Brothers" 600 times.