December 16, 2007

"You can never go fast enough."


And you can never own this movie too many times.

My Dad's laserdisc company, The Roan Group, put TWO LANE BLACKTOP (1971) out. It was the last laserdisc he released before making the switch to DVD. It's also one of my all-time favorite movies (Warren Oates gives one of the greatest film performanes ever), and having anything to do with it (and I did VERY little as far as the laserdisc was concerned) was indeed an honor.

At the same time Dad did the laserdisc, Anchor Bay released the same transfer on DVD. It's long out of print, but Criterion has just put it back out in a more deluxer deluxe edition. Came out last week -- just in time for the gearhead movie freak on your Christmas list. Man, I can't wait to get one.

I've recommended this film to countless people. And reaction to it has been split right down the middle: people either love it or hate it. There's no "it was OK" with TWO LANE BLACKTOP.

Once I get my copy, I'll give the three people who read this a full report on its splendid-ness.

3 comments:

James M Graham said...

Don't buy one. Santa might be coming...

Deluxer, indeed...

Toby Roan said...

Santa's done plenty. He don't need to do no more.

A friend of mine got this as soon as it came out and has watched it three times already! Ain't that every other day?

It's good to know my friends have their priorities straight.

Varvara said...

Thank you for recommendation, Toby