February 04, 2008

The latest on my hot rod.


Checked my driveway this morning, and there's still not a hot rod parked in it. Damn.

But over the weekend, I got the latest issue of RODDER'S JOURNAL (not so much a magazine as a really beautiful coffee table book that comes out four times a year), and it has a great, in-depth article on Bob Tindle's Orange Crate.

It's a fabulous example of a '32 Ford sedan, a bitchin' drag car and a real icon of my youth. I built the Revell model (and gunked it up with so much Testors glue the body didn't lift up right) and stared at its photo in hot rod mags. From what I've gathered talking to other hot rod nuts, I was not alone.

According to RJ, the Orange Crate's still out there, in nice unrestored condition. In fact, it's been seen at a number of car shows, and was selected as one of “The 75 Most Significant ’32 Ford Hot Rods."

It's weird to think that some of these cars can be found in garages and barns all across America, just sitting. What else is out there? And more important, can I have it?

No comments: