June 15, 2008

It's a bird! It's a plane. It's Father's Day!

For Father’s Day, Presley gave me a right spiffy gift: a trip to the indoor skydiving place.

What’s that? Well, that was kinda what I was wondering, too. You head to this place outside Fayetteville called Paraclete where they got this big fat monster wind tunnel and you get in there and hang in the air and zip around and stuff like you see skydivers do as they drop like stones.

As they describe it on their website, “you will soar on a column of air inside a vertical wind tunnel.”

And that’s what I did. Suited up in a jumpsuit and helmet, with some goggles that thankfully let me keep my glasses on, I got in there and flew around a little bit, with an instructor keeping me from blowing around like a wadded up piece of trash on a blustery day. It was a blast. And I was less lousy at it than I figured I’d be.

It was for sure a Father’s Day I won’t forget. And I’m ready to go back and try it again.

Jennifer took some pictures with her phone, but they aren't much to look at. So, I boosted this shot off their website. My aerobatics were nothing like those you see here.

No comments: