February 25, 2009

Perfectly Frank (Frazetta)

For months, I've had this folder full of jpegs on my desktop that says "Gauntlet." Here's some of the stuff that's in it.

Clint Eastwood and Sondra Locke meeting with the great Frank Frazetta in 1977, in preparation for Frank's poster art for The Gauntlet.



An early sketch.


Another work in progress.


The finished art, before all the type was added.



Here's the half-sheet. It remains one of my favorite movie posters, perfectly matching the over-the-top majesty of the film itself. (I got much of this stuff here. Frazetta's art for The Fearless Vampire Killers is great, too.)

This art would also grace the LP of Jerry Fielding's terrific jazzy score.

The video tape and standard DVD of The Gauntlet used an alternate ad campaign. For the recent Blu-Ray DVD, they went with Frazetta's artwork. That's not the kind of restoration you typically think of with movies showing up on DVD, but I'm sure thankful for it in this case.

Here's a screen grab from that Blu-Ray DVD. Click it to see it larger. "This is my gun, Clyde"

2 comments:

Ahmed Nayyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ahmed Nayyer said...

I share with you my interest of Mr. Frank Frazetta's Art and Clint Eastwood's superb acting. I am just preparing my own *water colour pencil version of the movie poster, and let me tell you it was not possible without your high resolution images!

Thanks!

- Ahmed Nayyer

*Colour Pencils that become water colour when applied with water.