April 18, 2008

"Now tie that knot real tight. It has to hold the weight of a pig."


One of the things I don't like about myself circa 2008 is that I don't get excited about stuff the way I used to. Maybe it's because you can get really jaded after 20 years in Advertising. Maybe it's because you have a kid, your priorities change, and stuff like the next Who record isn't as big a deal as it once was. Or maybe I'm just getting old and tired. Who knows.

But something's coming up that I am real excited about. THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY is coming to the Carolina Theater in Durham. One showing. 35mm Techniscope. Man, I'd crawl to Durham on broken glass for that.

It's one of my all-time favorite movies. Easy. And it passes one of my Great Movie tests: I can sit in a chair and watch this thing for three hours and never once look at my watch. (That's a test movies like TITANIC or DANCES WITH WOLVES fail miserably.)

One thing that really amazes me about THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY is that its grand scope somehow comes through on a dinky little television. How did Sergio Leone pull that off? Of course, with Lee Van Cleef's closeups 40 feet wide, and on Film, that won't be much of an issue.

God, I can't wait!

(The title of this thing is one of Eli Wallach's lines.)

1 comment:

Varvara said...

Once, I CAME ACROSS a good read about this movie. It made me realize why certain things (including American film-making) are called underground. Underground - is because you have to dug them out. Yourself.
...pretty much.. heh
:)

It is a great poster - I am saving it to my "reminder" bin.