December 15, 2008

The Big Star freakout continues.

I'm two-thirds of the ways through Rob Jovanovic's great Big Star book, Big Star: The Short Life, Painful Death, and Unexpected Resurrection of the Kings of Power Pop, which I think has been re-issued with a shorter title. Probably a wise move.

The Big Star story is a sad one, filled with missed opportunities (lots), self-destructive behavior (lots and lots), etc. But knowing how this music was made has really aided my appreciation of a band I loved to begin with. It's also thrown me into a big fat Big Star binge, which is not a bad thing at all.

Came across this original promo poster for #1 Record. Very cool. There's a lot of Big Star reposing on eBay these days.

We'll never know how well this poster really promoted the record, since issues with the label and its distributor sunk any chances of success the band had with this album. But this does serve as a fine example of Truth In Advertising: wise men do check out Big Star.

1 comment:

Varvara said...

Toby is da best.
:)
I don't have much intelectual thought to add to this...


...uhm... is that how you spell intelectual?