September 25, 2007

Boy, did I miss the boat on this one.


I'm pretty good about stuff like this, but here's one that I screwed up royally back in 1988. God, that's almost 20 years ago.

Back then, I was a big Sonic Youth fan. SISTER ("Catholic Block" is a great great song) and EVOL were never too damn far from my CD player, and I remember driving home from work at Dillon Supply Company many times with those two records blaring at far beyond any sort of comfort level.

But somehow in '88, when they released the mighty DAYDREAM NATION (which I bought on vinyl on its first day of release) I wasn't impressed. My friends were all over it, proclaiming it a masterpiece from Day One. But it was still SISTER and EVOL for me. Fade out.

Fade in: 20 years later.

Sonic Youth has celebrated DAYDREAM NATION's 20th anniversary with a tour, playing the album in its entirity. (That's a photo from one of those shows up there.) That's an honor usually reserved for stuff like PET SOUNDS. And there's a bitchin' re-issue CD thing with extra stuff. A friend raved about one of the live shows, and that got me thinking about the record again.

So I pulled it back out. And, damn, it's good. Real good. Which, of course, doesn't say much for where my head was at 20 years ago. And it's a little weird to place DAYDREAM NATION on my Best Of 2007 list. But that's where it sits, waiting for CHROME DREAMS II to shake up the order of things.

2 comments:

Varvara said...

wow there is a lot about music, that you write!
If I were some music association, I'd issue you a "made in america" 'achievement' award!!
**giggles**
=)

James M Graham said...

Not only one of my top 10 shows of 2007, but perhaps - ever...